Monday, August 9, 2010

Shake Rattle and Roll

Saturday night at 9:17 Guam had the worst earthquake in my history.  I remember the earthquake that we had a few years ago  in the early morning, but I never really felt it - slept right through it.

I was actually in the process of publishing my last blog post - sitting at the desk in my hotel room at the computer.  The first sensation that I had was my body swaying backwards and forwards.  My brain, however, thought that I was dizzy - it didn't realize that my body was actually swaying - which looking back, I am thinking that the whole hotel was most likely swaying.  I am on the top floor - stupid me asked for a high ocean view....What was I thinking?!  Anyway, after swaying, the rumbling started.  I jumped up from my chair and went to the sliding doors (probably shouldn't have done that) but it was first instinct to see what was happening outside - all the cars on the road were stopped.  I then went across the floor - it was difficult to walk - it felt like you were in one of those crazy houses (anybody remember Angle Inn at Opryland?) where the floor tilts one way and you are tilted another and things will roll uphill (which brings to mind a shout out to my Lipscomb friends - Gravity Hill!!!)- so I just sat down on the floor.  I would estimate that the whole thing lasted about a minute but the worst was maybe 30 seconds.  Turns out it was a 5.2 and I was about 30 miles from the epicenter.

I have to be honest with you - it scared the living daylights out of me - I really thought that I would be sitting on a pile of rubble - MY shaking took much longer to stop.

No comments: