Friday, August 20, 2010

Saying Goodbye



Tears came to my eyes when I pulled in to my hotel drive for the last time today.  There was no sun at all today and that fit my mood.  I spent the morning and early afternoon driving all the way around the island one more time and taking a few more pictures.

As you drive around the southern end of the island, open your car window -  someone is always at the beach barbecuing something.  You can smell the warm salt air mixed the the smell of plumeria - Bath and Body Works does NOT have this smell perfected :).  I can't even describe it - but it's even better than roses.

I saw many Caribou (Water Buffalo) and even one with two dogs on top of it - I would have stopped to take a picture but they wanted to wash the car - so I kept going.  Almost every beach in the south had a family get together.  They are so friendly that they probably would have asked me to eat with them had I stopped.

My memories:
The look on Alice's face when I told her there was no ocean in Tennessee - "You don't have an ocean?!!!"
Ray Ray - transferring a call then running from his office to mine to tell me it was for me.
The flowers
The food
Sunrise outside my hotel window every morning
The computer operators - who started my world journey of food
Learning about the war
The Chamorro Culture
The rainbows - almost daily
Tomorrow, I will click my heels together three times and 23 hours later I will be home.

So I say goodbye to the Land of Rainbows, Spam Island, Land of Butterflies,  Tano Y Chamorro, Guahan,  GUAM....I hope that I will be back someday.

No comments: