Thursday, July 22, 2010

Going Postal in Halifax

I am writing my last post from Halifax as I eat my last lunch from The Dill Pickle.  My next post will be from Guam.
http://www.thedillpickle.ca/

It is raining here today and it says the temp is 17 degrees - sounds cold to me - but I can't remember the calculation from elementary school to tell what temp it REALLY is.

AND I had my first Canadian confrontation today while in the mall getting my lunch.  Last night I wrote some post cards, so I went to the post office to get stamps to mail them.  I stepped up and asked for seven post card stamps - maybe it was my accent, but the clerk looked at me like I had lost my mind - she then asked me "American or Canadian?"  So maybe someone with a little Post Office know how could chime in here and help with this...but since I am in Canada, wouldn't I need Canadian stamps?  I mean when you go to the PO in America, they don't ask if you need American or Canadian or Mexican or Japanese.....So since she was so snippy, I just said back to her - in my best Southern drawl, "These need to get to Tennessee and Georgia in the South - I just need whatever it takes to get them there." So almost ten American dollars and a cash drawer slam later, I have mailed my cards.  Don't know if anyone will get them - but I want you to know that I took the time to write them and went  head to head with a smart alec clerk that obviously was on the verge of going postal.

I will probably just stay in tonight and pack - I have three long days of traveling starting tomorrow - or it may not be three days - I haven't wrapped my head around that international date line thing.  Which I suppose has something to do with the earth being round - but when you go West time goes backward but Guam is 14 hours ahead.  So it may only be two days or two and a half - and coming home, I will get back about the same time as I left - too bad it isn't my birthday - or Christmas!

Enough for now - headed for much warmer shores - see you in Guam!

Kristi

No comments: